Thursday 11 October 2012

All downhill from here

So I finally caved ... and bought some reading glasses. I had been wearing Dunk's spare pair occasionally and pretending that I didn't really need them. But I now have to officially admit that sometimes it's not just that the light is bad. Interestingly it was not reading but knitting Dunk's new jumper that tipped the balance. It has a complex cable and the yarn is very dark blue and I was finding it too hard to distinguish between the knit and purl stitches.
 However, in taking a photo of myself I got a very nasty shock. Mostly I kid myself that my face hasn't changed much over the last few years, in fact the frown line has been there since my twenties and has not got any worse, but when I uploaded the photos and tried to pick the nicest one I noticed that old age had been creeping up on me unawares:
It's the perniciousness of ageing that is most disturbing, or maybe it is just human nature to determinedly ignore these things until one day an old lady looks back at you from the mirror and you have the cheek to be upset about it. 
Well, it's 16 months since I started this little 'diary' and there has not been much progress. No particular symptoms have emerged other than a wayward irregularity in my cycle. I have stopped expecting anything predictable and at least my body has been predictable in it's unpredictability:-)

1 comment:

  1. I blamed the light for one whole winter, then when the next summer came around and I still couldn't see I realised it was more than just the light.

    As to the other stuff ... the main inspiration to this blog ... my last womb weeping was nearly a year ago - and that one caught me by surprise, no warning spots, no dragging feeling - but it was all over in a day.

    I've come to realise that no two women have the same menopause, just as no women appear to have the same anything - it's a ll just generalisation. I do still get hot flushes at night, bedcovers being thrown off and on with monotonous regularity, but at least I don't get them in the day very often any more.

    The next thing I am looking forward to is facial hair ...

    ReplyDelete